Tuesday, September 15, 2015

A Good Name

Omar is a male given name of an arabic and hebrew origin. Its common name amongst all Arab and muslim territories along side with other Spanish speaking countries. In arabic the name Omar originates from the arabic word (العُمْر) which stands for life. In Arab cultures and societies the name Omar is an optimistic name dedicated to newborns so that they are expected to have a longer life spam. On the other hand in hebrew the name has been used to refer to people who were eloquent and gifted in speaking. First of all looking back at through history the name had been wide spread throughout the islamic culture in fact many of prophet Mohammad’s (PBUH) companions were named Omar an example would be Omar bin al-Khat’tab who was one of the closest companions to the prophet (PBUH).

Taking a look at the definition of my name I can clearly relate how my name has contributed to shape my identity. first of all this name belonged to a honourable man that was well known for distinguishing between the truth and false helped me realise the value of my name. The fact that this name belonged to such a venerable person helped me build up my identity. It made me realise that i should build a strong character to best suit and portray this name OMAR.

1 comment:

  1. Your post is very interesting and highlights well the historical and cultural implications of your name. It is very interesting to read that you believe as well that your name has an impact on your identity, I agree with your statement; "his name belonged to a honourable man that was well known for distinguishing between the truth and false helped me realise the value of my name." Your analytical response is quite similar to mine and Dando's and incorporates the same ideas.

    ReplyDelete